When you can change Medicare plans
The best time to switch your Medicare plan depends on your situation and the kind of coverage you have. Review the enrollment periods and special circumstances below to find the right time to make a change.
Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) – October 15 to December 7
Each year during the AEP, you can make changes to your Medicare coverage for the following year. You can:
- Switch to a different Medicare Advantage, Medicare Cost or standalone Part D plan
- Enroll in a Medicare Advantage, Medicare Cost or standalone Part D plan for the first time
- Drop your Medicare Advantage, Medicare Cost or standalone Part D plan and go back to Original Medicare. You can then choose to apply for a Medicare Supplement plan.
Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period – January 1 to March 31
If you have a Medicare Advantage plan, then during the annual Medicare Advantage Open Enrollment Period you can:
- Switch to a different Medicare Advantage plan
- Drop your Medicare Advantage plan and go back to Original Medicare. You can then choose to apply for a Medicare Supplement plan or standalone Part D plan.
Special Enrollment Period (SEP)
Certain life events may qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period when you can change your Medicare Advantage plan, Medicare Cost plan, Medicare Supplement plan or standalone Part D plan. Examples of these events include:
- Moving outside of your current plan’s service area
- Your plan ending, ceasing to serve the area where you live or significantly reducing its provider network
- Qualifying for assistance from the Medicare Extra Help program
- Switching to a 5-Star plan, like our Medicare Advantage plans which received an overall Medicare Star Rating of 5 out of 5 for 2022 – the highest score possible.
Discover a HealthPartners UnityPoint Health (PPO) Medicare plan
A Medicare Advantage plan with HealthPartners UnityPoint Health gives you flexible options for all of life’s adventures. Explore the features and benefits that come with our Medicare plans and find the best fit for you.
Request a packet
We’re happy to email or mail a packet to you with details about plans available in your area.
Get expert help
Attend an informational meeting, explore our online learning guide or download an educational booklet.
Every year, Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-star rating system.
Last updated October 2021